10 July 2012

Present Opportunities 24 April 2012 exLJ

How Long is a split second?

It depends!

The assumed average is about 0.1 seconds. So, a split second decision takes us on average one tenth of a second.

The reason I ask and answer is that I've always been fascinated by the present and how to live totally in it. I'm writing this now and you are reading it now, but the two nows are different.

When I want to exercise my old grey matter I start doing arithmetic calculations in my head. This morning's (now-then-past) one was how many opportunities I had to become present. In every second I have ten, in every minute 600 in every hour 36,000 and in every day 864,000. That's as far as I got with the mental arithmetic.

I had to resort to a calculator to figure out how many opportunities there are in a year. There are 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, 46 seconds in a year and that means there are 315, 569, 260 opportunities every year to become present.

Most of these we miss by reviewing the past or rehearsing the future. In the present we have the ability to choose, to make a decision about what we really want out of our lives.

I want eternal peace, I want heaven and the only way to get these is in the present. I suppose that when I don't get what I want I can always...

Choose again!

No comments:

Post a Comment