05 July 2012

Lessons Bloody Lessons 9 October 2007 exLJ

When I was a trainer in DDC I decided to offer a class in Time Management. I came across and bought a video by John Cleese called Meetings Bloody Meetings to help me get the message across. Hence the title of this post.

I went through a phase where I though I had learned enough bloody lessons. But it kept being shoved in my face that we're never finished learning lessons. Well, to hell with that. So when will I be finished learning? When I wake up in the morning in peace, spend the whole day in peace, fall asleep and sleep in peace. Sounds boring? Not really!

Because the idea of "walkabout" entered. In walkabout mode we just go about our lives enjoying what is presented to us without any expectations. We're not trying to do anything, just being and enjoying it. Having fun!

Well, anyway back to the bloody lessons. I wake up in the morning, and I'm in peace. I go through the day. At some stage I discover that I'm not in peace. Maybe I'm angry, mad, sad, afraid, frustrated, anxious, worried, agitated... What situation, event triggered this reaction? Who did this to me?

Nobody did this to me. I reacted. I decided that an emotional response was appropriate. I may not be aware that I decided, but some part of me must have decided. So today's lesson becomes "How did I get myself out of peace?" Let me get back into peace. Let me rest in peace!

Over the years I have accepted that I will have to learn my lessons. That's the way the universe works. If I don't learn them today, then I'll learn them sometime. There is no choice about this - I will learn my lessons. You can almost imagine the authoritarian figure pointing at me saying "You will learn your lessons" And I ask him do I have any choice. And a gentler, more helpful universe responds "Yes, its true, you will learn your lessons, but you have a choice. Three choices really. First choice is the timing choice. You can learn them now or later. Second choice is the location choice. You can learn them here or anywhere. Third choice is the how choice - the easy or the hard way."

OK! Lessons bloody lessons are only given to us when we are ready to learn them. We are better off learning them when they are first presented, otherwise the tend to get more difficult the more we postpone them. And we usually wind up saying to ourselves "Why didn't I do that immediately, is really was not as difficult as it thought it would be"

If my current location is not my favourite place in the universe, then I can always move to my favourite location.

I don't always have to keep beating my head against a stone wall. Maybe someone else has learned this lesson. It's definitely sure that someone else has learned this lesson already. I can buy the book, and take it with my favourite chair and sit on the beach and simply read the lesson in peace and comfort.

There is a much simpler way of learning and that's to just tune into the mind-state we desire to learn. I suppose in Matrix-land they referred to this as "Deeks (can't remember his name) load the program!"

No comments:

Post a Comment